Wednesday, April 1, 2009

P’Nat & P’Noi and BIG fun in Norfolk, VA

First, you probably read the title and think, “What? Is that even a word?” The answer is “Yes, kind of.” :) These are the nicknames for the recently hidden geocaches that my friend, Nicole and I planted.

What is geocaching? Geocaching is an outdoor treasure-hunting game in which the participants use a Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver or other navigational techniques to hide and seek containers (called "geocaches" or "caches") anywhere in the world. A typical cache is a small waterproof container containing a logbook and "treasure," usually toys or trinkets.

P’Nat = Positive Nature/Lexington Cache
P’Noi = A Powerful Noise/Norfolk Cache

We have planted two geocaches which are “sister caches” because they have the same directives/purpose. One is located in Lexington, VA to mark my home and the other in Norfolk, VA because that is home to Nicole. The idea behind our caches relates to our friendship’s common bond . . . the quest to make meaning in everyday life. I recently had the chance to hear one of the most accurate descriptions of Nicole and oddly, I thought to myself . . . that is exactly why we get along so well. We both take time to peel back the layers of those in our lives so that connections can be made. After all, life is about connections and discovering the “things” that bind us all together. For Nicole and I, we are all about making the most of anything and everything so this adventure of planting two identical caches was right up our alleys :)

Let me tell you a little bit about the caches: The idea is that anyone who finds our caches, they are to leave a quote behind, something that has meaning to them. Essentially, the quote book is the logbook for cache but being that we enjoy the analytical side of things . . . the quote sharing piece made perfect sense.

Here is where the “making the most of anything and everything” plays in . . . I made a trip of the geocaching event. It was a weekend trip to Norfolk (which Margot made with me) and on Saturday, we woke up early and hit the ground running but the neat thing is that it was relaxed at the same time. We woke up, chit-chatted on her front porch, then hopped in the Mini Coop and went to the beach to plant “A Powerful Noise” geocache. Along the way, I saw the house where my Uncle and Mom lived when they were around my age and even their local hangout spot (which seeing this was TOTALLY unexpected and random but just added to the coincidental meaning of the trip). Planting the cache at the beach is an idea that I am in love with since the ocean and all the fun that comes along with the beach is my absolute favorite thing in life! It is like a little bit of me is living on the beach ☺ After that, we went back to her house to pick up the dogs for a walk on the beach! This was Margot’s first trip to the beach and she was so much fun to watch as she messed around and made fast friends with Nicole’s dogs (especially Dolce). One of my favorite memories of Margot’s beach visit was the moment when she was walking close to the water and a breaking wave got her . . . she had this confused look on her face that made me laugh. She was like, “Hey! How did that water just come up and get me?” So cute!!

After our stroll on the beach, we picked met up with Angie to kayak at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens, which was AMAZING! Not only did I get to kayak but I was able to find my very first geocache (with a little help from Angie) but still, I count it ☺ The fun does not stop there . . . later that evening, we went to a super fun birthday party where I got to dance and if you know me at all, you know how I like to dance ☺ This was all in one day but I coin this kind of a trip as a very Nicole/Courtney-esque . . . making the most of anything and everything :)

I think it is best summed up by a simple quote that my dear friend, Nicole, shared with me just this morning . . .

The purpose of life is a life of purpose. ~Robert Byrne

I have a slideshow that will best tell the story of my eventful geocache plant and my Norfolk trip :)