Saturday, April 18, 2009

April 2009: Rothenberg, Germany

Where to begin . . . It all started a year ago when I got in my head that I was going to share my European experience with my Omi. Before this trip, we had not traveled abroad since y second grade year in elementary school. We both have been to Germany since but not with the company of each other so this was special. h

So as you read this, consider that this trip has been in the making or the last year and half so try to imagine my excitement :)

The flight over was perfect. We got on, had dinner, watched a movie, slipped away in sleep . . . woke up and we landed. it was a good flight. The big deal about the arrival was that my host family was going to greet me at the gate. I lived with them in 2000 during my course of study in Frankfurt, Germany. It had been 9 long years since we last saw each other but over the years, we have kept in contact via email, instant messenger and short letters now and again. This was an emotional experience for both Kat and I. Before I could get through the gate, I was all smiles and then, I spotted her. We both gave each other a huge hug and then, we cried. As I squeezed her, she said in my ear, “We can never let 9 years happen again. Jenny, her sister, was there too and it was so nice of them both to come and welcome me to Germany. We then traveled by bus to Rothenberg (about 2 to 3 hours from the the Frankfurt Airport) to a placed called Rothenberg.

Omi and I split up for most of the evening. I explored the village and Omi met up with Kerstin, Ronald (Kerstin’s husband) and Alina (who is 5 years old)—they drove 5 hours from Berlin to visit. This was a great opportunity to catch up with her family who she had not seen for years. I know it has to be hard on my Omi being an ocean away from everything that is home to her--family, friends and culture. Before exploring the city, I played with Alina and her cousin, Jans. I was able to use my elementary German skills. They were really the only ones I could speak to without really being truly self-conscious about my German grammar. It was fun. When it came time to say goodbye, Omi and Kerstin (with her crew) met up with me at a local eatery for final picture. That was emotional because Kerstin told me thank you for bringing my Omi to her and to continue to be good to her Aunt Elfriede. I cried again because it was so overwhelming for me to see Omi so happy to be “home” with family.


The next day, Kat and her boyfriend, Tim, came to spend the morning and lunch hour with me in Rothenberg. We toured a beautiful church, Kat and I shopped a bit and then, we had a picnic lunch in a park on the castle grounds. It was a place that i had picked out the evening before because I thought it was one of the most perfect places for a picnic :) My #1 craving for lunch was my very favorite quick snack called Currywurst! Kat and I found a little deli and that is exactly what I had for lunch on my first full day of vacation :) It was a day that I will never forget :) It was a great way to begin our 9 day tour through Europe.