Friday, May 1, 2009

Munich, Germany & Dachau

It was a monumental day . . . I had the opportunity to visit a Nazi Concentration Camp called Dachau. This one is particularly historic because it is the model. It was the first Nazi camp to be functional and all the rest that were scattered across Europe were modeled after the functionality of Dachau. My Omi spoke graciously bowed out because that is a little too close to home for her.
Since middle school, I have always been keen on learning about the Holocaust and for me to have the opportunity to see an actually concentration camp was incredible. When I was actually there, I can remember thinking, “This is one of things that some humans actually deny that ever happened.” My forethought that I had running in my head the entire time I toured the grounds was: This was the site of unjust actions toward humans beings and it was all done by human beings to human being. I mean, Dachau and Aushwitz . . . You see movies/documentaries or to read about it in history books but to visit the actual grounds and see it with my own eyes . . . it was one of the most humbling experiences. There were times I just wanted to cry for all the humility and cruelty that so many individuals endured just because they were “different” from the supposed “supreme race.”

**Out of respect, I feel it is most appropriate for me not to post the pictures that I took from inside some of the camp’s facilities. **

After Dachau, I knew that I needed to take my mind off the intensity of the experience. I needed to “shelf” all that I saw. So, my Omi and I went downtown Munich, Germany. Munich is home to the all-famous Glockenspiel. It consists of 43 bells and 32 life-sized figures. The neatest thing happened, it was like if perfect timing existed . . . I experienced it. My favorite thing to do in a European city is to climb the highest tower and get a perspective on the happenings from above. So, that is exactly what I did in Munich and it just happened that I could climb the city tower and watch the Glockenspiel’s high noon demonstration of 43 beautiful bells ringing a tune as the Glockenspiel’s life-size figures dance around telling the story of the Duke and his marriage (which happens to be the history behind the Oktoberfest as well). I climbed 300 something steps and as I hit the last step, I heard the bells begin to ring. I rushed out on the observation deck and took it all in. It was so neat!

Later that night, Omi and I went to a place called “The Hofbrau Haus.” It is a party spot for Bavarians with lots of freshly brewed in-house beer and a live Polka-Band! My Omi and I spilt our favorite beer called the Radler. We enjoyed the fellowship of totally friendly strangers. For me, it was a time to have a great beer and have a chance to speak German in a fun and not-so-serious atmosphere. It was a great way to take a load off a day that started so intensely. Good times!!