Saturday, December 27, 2008

Dec. 2008: Kayaking Remedy

This day was like a gift . . . it was Dec. 27th and it was 69F degrees. It was unseasonal and so incredibly perfect. I had to take a double take when I read the forecast just days earlier but as soon as I saw that it was going to be nearing 70F, I had a plan!

The plan was to GET ON THE WATER :) So, I packed the kayak and all the necessary gear and hit the lake. That was that ;)

It was the most unusual feeling. The sun was shining, there was a breeze and even the breeze was warm. I did not want the day to end. Once on the lake, I quickly noticed that the water level was down about 15-20 ft. That was weird but it allowed me to see so many things that otherwise go unseen.

Beech Fork Lake is located in Lavalette, WV and it is man-made so of course, there are trees. When the water is at normal level, the trees are completely submerged but today, they were tipping out of the water surface. I describe it as a "graveyard." It was cool to paddle in and around the trees. It was spooky but also, super neat. The day was just perfect and I am pretty sure that I officially have SPRING FEVER after today :)

All in all, it was a day that I did not want to end and being on the water was exactly the remedy that I needed :)