Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Wigwam Falls, VA

Now that Spring is here . . . I am making every attempt to venture out on the Blue Ridge to find new and exciting falls to photograph. I really and truly stumbled upon this one. I was driving home from my favorite waterfall hike in VA (Crabtree Falls) and I looked up and noticed this waterfall from the road. I just had to make it a stop but on that particular day, I was just too tired but I was determined to make it a future hike . . . and I did! On this day, the weather was perfect. It was not too hot and even had the chance to stick my feet in the cool spring ;)

Facts:

30 ft. Waterfall

It is located on the Yankee Horse Trail on the Blue Ridge Parkway

The trail gets its name because Stonewall Jackson's troops during the Civil War. During that time, a Union soldier's horse fell here and had to be shot.

The waterfall gets its name due to the nearby Wigwam Mountain is said to be an ancient Indian hunting grounds.